SharePoint Server 2013 - Rollback Process

Last post 06-18-2020, 9:08 AM by ddwyer. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • SharePoint Server 2013 - Rollback Process
    Posted: 06-10-2020, 9:08 AM

First off, I want to apologize for my Commvault ignorance. I don't have access to CV, so some of the terminology confuses me. I searched the forum, and either my answer isn't there or it is but I don't know enough about Commvault to recognize it.

I'm trying to confirm that what I'm wanting to do, can be done, before I start begging for access.

We have a small SharePoint farm consisting of one (1) SharePoint server, a SQL Server with multiple Failover Cluster Instances, one of which is dedicated to SharePoint

Each month I'm required to apply Windows OS security patches, and SharePoint security patches to the SharePoint server. Of course any SharePoint patch may or may not update the SQL databases.

Downtime is not a problem. At the beginning of the downtime, I need a way to capture the state of the SharePoint farm, when they are in sync, both, data that's stored on the server file system, as well as in the applications databases.

In the docs I see mention of both, using a Pseudo-client, and Application Aware backup, but I don't understand if either would be useful or if special licensing is needed for that functionality.

My goal is to have, in case the patching fails, a simple roll-back process with zero data loss, that is safe and leaves us in a supported state with Microsoft.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post,

Steve Williamson

• Re: SharePoint Server 2013 - Rollback Process
    Posted: 06-15-2020, 8:25 AM

Hey Steve,

Are these VMs?

Honestly for the Sharepoint side of it, a quiesced VM snapshot would probably give you the quickest rollback path. Whether you do this in CV or just directly on the Hypervisor I will leave up to you.

If you need a DR solution for Sharepoint then you can look at deploying the pseudoclient. It's main use case is to make sure you get the Sharepoint data as well as DB and IIS Hive data that's not necessarily picked up by a Sharepoint agent backup under a "stand-alone" configuration. But again, you can probably capture this in a quiesced VM snapshot. The serious data for Sharepoint is in the SQL back end.

I would recommend taking database and log backups on the SQL Server Agent which will give you the ability to perform point in time recovery should the worst happen, but again, if you're performing these changes in a window when downtime is allowed you can probably get away with a quiesced snapshot here as well since you stand a better change of being able quiesce the databases when there is not as much load on them.

David

Posted: 06-16-2020, 1:39 PM

David, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, the SharePoint server is VM, not sure about the SQL server.

It does sound like CV has the ability to capture the state of the application, both SP server file system, and databases together so we stay in a supported state with Microsoft. In fact multiple options. I think I need to beg our admins to put the agents on the TEST server(s) and give me access to CV to try different scenarios.

Thanks again,

Steve

Posted: 06-18-2020, 9:08 AM

No worries Steve,

Let us know how you get on.

David

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy