How to give permission to Guided Setup

Last post 07-01-2020, 12:44 PM by sekreber. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • How to give permission to Guided Setup
    Posted: 06-30-2020, 1:05 PM

I am trying to give access to oiur SQL DBA's to manage their own backups. When they are in the Command Center web interface, they do not see a way to create plans for their backups. When I talked to a Commvault tech about a different issue, I asked him how they could do it. He showed me under my login that if you click on guided setup, you could go in there and create plans. I can see guided setup, they cannot. What permissions within the Commcell do I need to give them to see it? 

Thanks,

Ed Reber
  • Re: How to give permission to Guoded Setup
    Posted: 06-30-2020, 2:05 PM

Hi,

Please have a look as master under Manage->Customization->Navigation (assuming you are running SP18 or higher). From there you can assign the ability to use guided setup also to other users. Personally I would definife the plan myself so thet DBA's do not have to think/worry about creating plans. You can for example offer the ability to override some settings so they can use your plan as a template and adjust just the parameters they need.

Good luck!

Onno

Posted: 06-30-2020, 2:52 PM

Thank you Onno. our DBA's are used to using Idera and setting up their own schedules and backups. I am just curious what other people do in this case. And, is the plan just for reference? Can it be changed for different times? I have mostly dealt with the Commcell GUI and am not as familiar with the web interface.

Ed Reber
    Posted: 07-01-2020, 4:45 AM

You can still use schedules if you really want but I would advise you to start leveraging plan based backups which steers the backup runtime using ML and RPO related parameters. You can make adjustments but but the idea around plans is to leverage the intelligence. This is a continued effort by Commvault engineering  to make it easier and to make sure the backup and more important the restore runs as optimal as possible while taking into account defined SLA.

Posted: 07-01-2020, 8:48 AM

Thank you for your help.

Ed Reber
    Posted: 07-01-2020, 12:44 PM

I found that if you cick the plus sign under manage I could see plans and I did not need guided setup which did not work for our user. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Ed Reber
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy