Commserve HA or LiveSync

Last post 07-21-2020, 7:53 AM by Bhavyan. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Commserve HA or LiveSync
    Posted: 07-01-2020, 5:51 AM

Hello.

I'm testing out DR for our commserver in my lab.
    So far I haven't got it to work despite I follow the documentation. Unfortunatelly I do find the documentation not consistent.

Is there anyone in here that have a step by step guide to share for setting i up?

BR

Henke

• Re: Commserve HA or LiveSync
    Posted: 07-01-2020, 9:03 AM

Hi Henke,

what part is specifically not working? Please note that if anything in the documentation does mot makes sense please submit a request by clicking on the ICON upper right and we can address it. This goes right to our documentation team so they can make it clearer. 

Gary Seibak
    Technical Account Manager - Commvault
    Posted: 07-01-2020, 11:32 AM

Hello,

I've setup the two commcells.

have a floating name, registered in DNS.

Both commcells have instance 1 and 2, where 2 is the SQL and HA.

The DR instance2 one points back to the primary commcell.

As far as I have read, if I dind't miss it, there is no menitoning of adding the livesync subclient to a storage policy.

Created mediaagent with a library and that auto created the DisasterRecovery policy.

Enabled LiveSync from ControlPanel, then it is stuck as below.

Or am I impatient, how long does that phase take? I am a bit low on resources running this in my lab.

Looking the liveSync logs it seems that the two systems do reach each other.

Posted: 07-01-2020, 12:36 PM

not sure if you meant to include a screenshot or not but that looks OK, normally the drbackup is already created and we just use that same storage policy by default. it looks like you have done things a bit in reverse but it can still work.

once it starts running the 1st livesync job you should be good to go. if you right click the CS and view schedules do you see the schedules that were auto created for livesync ?

Gary Seibak
    Posted: 07-01-2020, 1:21 PM

Hey Gary,
    Thanks for answering my questions.

Not sure what you mean by doing it in reverse?

I followed the instructions here,

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=105134.htm

Created the primary commsell, then the DR one.

Added a media agent and then did a disaster recovery backup.

Then enabled LiveSync

What order should I have done it?

BR

Henke

Posted: 07-01-2020, 1:30 PM

its fine :) will work either way. 

let me know if you run into anything else.

Gary Seibak
    Posted: 07-01-2020, 2:50 PM

I like the idea of using multiple CommServe hostnames (v11.19 and later):
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp19/article?p=122463.htm

The procedure I've used recently.

Two Commserve servers:
    CVLTCS01.company.com
    CVLTCS02.company.com

Configuration steps:

1. Install CommServe software:
    1.1 CVLTCS01-instance01        client: CVLTCS01 | commserve: CVLTCS01.company.com
    1.2 CVLTCS01-instance02        client: CVLTCS01SQL | commserve: CVLTCS01.company.com
    1.3 CVLTCS02-instance02        client: CVLTCS02SQL | commserve: CVLTCS01.company.com
    1.4 CVLTCS02-instance01        client: CVLTCS02 | commserve: CVLTCS01.company.com

2. *Create client group "Failover clients" with rule: Package Installed - any in selection - CommServe Failover. This will discover CS failover clients (CVLTCS01SQL, CVLTCS02SQL).

3. Install and configure MediaAgent and disk library for "CommServeDR" storage policy

4. Enable LiveSync:
    4.1 "Nodes" tab: Enable + select "CommServeDR" storage policy
    4.2 "Connectivity" tab: Use Network Gateway: "Failover clients" + disable "Manually Select Clients..." option

5. *Create client Group "Clients For Commserv LiveSync" and set rules:
    5.1 Client version v11 and service pack - greater than - 14
    5.2 Client - not equal - CS Client

6. Add additional setting to the group: "sCSINTERFACELIST", type String, Value "CVLTCS01.company.com,CVLTCS02.company.com"

7. Push network configuration to the group

*Just in case if groups are not created automatically.

Posted: 07-03-2020, 2:59 AM

euMike:

I like the idea of using multiple CommServe hostnames (v11.19 and later):
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp19/article?p=122463.htm

The procedure I've used recently.

Two Commserve servers:
    CVLTCS01.company.com
    CVLTCS02.company.com

Thanks euMike, I'll give it a try.

Maybe it's the floating name giving me trouble.

//Henke

Posted: 07-06-2020, 11:12 AM

The LiveSync Backup should not be able to use a DR-Policy. You need a "normal" StoragePolicy for this to work. 

After that is configured usually you will need to manually run the first Full of the CvFailoverLogShipping Subclient on your Primary/active node. Once that Job Completed a Restore-Job to your Secondary/passive Node should automatically start and attempt to create a read-only copy of the Data there.

Posted: 07-07-2020, 11:47 AM

Interesting.

I've almost come to the point to slam my head against the wall with V11SP20, luckely I didn't.

I think SP20 is broke, atleast considering the Commserve HA/LiveSync.

I tried it on varous configs and none was/is working.

So I just tried it with V11 SP16 and it seems to be working.

The screen I was stuck in before is gone and it seems all groups is created, and the logship subclient is created assigned the correct storage policy.

Now I can continue my testing.

I also found the below in SP20, but that seems to exist in SP16 also.

When installing Commvault Livesync for DR I noticed that there is a warning for some DLL not being registered.
    That was because .Net2 wasn't installed

3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - File [C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\RegASM.exe] doesn't exist
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to launch: "RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLInterfaces.dll" /unregister with error The system cannot find the file specified
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - File [C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\RegASM.exe] doesn't exist
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to launch: "RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLInterfaces.dll"  with error The system cannot find the file specified
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to register .Net assembly E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLInterfaces.dll
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to launch: "RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLSMOFactory.dll" /unregister with error The system cannot find the file specified
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to launch: "RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLSMOFactory.dll"  with error The system cannot find the file specified
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to register .Net assembly E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLSMOFactory.dll
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Registered common MSSQL binaries.

Then went ahead and added .Net2 and made a repair of the instance, but that endeded with some other warnings.

3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to launch: "RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLInterfaces.dll" /unregister with error The system cannot find the file specified
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to launch: "RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLInterfaces.dll"  with error The system cannot find the file specified
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to register .Net assembly E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLInterfaces.dll
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to launch: "RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLSMOFactory.dll" /unregister with error The system cannot find the file specified
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to launch: "RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLSMOFactory.dll"  with error The system cannot find the file specified
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Warning: Failed to register .Net assembly E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLSMOFactory.dll
    3212  26    07/01 13:21:12 ### ### ### - Registered common MSSQL binaries.

Then I manually tried to register the DLL with :Net2 and got the following:

C:\Users\Administrator>"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727\RegASM.exe"  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\Content
    Store2\Base\CVSQLInterfaces.dll"
    Microsoft (R) .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility 2.0.50727.7905
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2004.  All rights reserved.

RegAsm : error RA0000 : Failed to load 'E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLInterfaces.dll' because it is
     not a valid .NET assembly
    Using the :net4 to register it is working.

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319>RegASM.exe  "E:\Program Files\Commvault\ContentStore2\Base\CVSQLInterfac
    es.dll"
    Microsoft .NET Framework Assembly Registration Utility version 4.8.3761.0
    for Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.8.3761.0
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Types registered successfully

Posted: 07-21-2020, 2:28 AM

Follow the below procedure:

Two Commserve servers with different hostname.

Configuration steps:

1. Install CommServe software:
    1.1 Commserve1-instance01  :   Configure as normal procedure as you do
    1.2 Commserve2-instance01  :    Configure as normal procedure as you do

1.3 Commserve1-instance02  :   Configure it as failover and mentione the Primary Commserve as Commserve2

1.4 Commserve2-instance02  :    Configure it as failover and mentione the Primary Commserve as Commserve1

2. Create client group "Failover clients" with rule: Package Installed - any in selection - CommServe Failover. This will discover CS failover clients.

3. Install and configure MediaAgent and disk library for "CommServeDR" storage policy

4. Enable LiveSync in Control Panel
    4.1 "Nodes" tab: Enable + select "CommServeDR" storage policy
    4.2 "Connectivity" tab: Use Network Gateway: "Failover clients" + disable "Manually Select Clients..." option

Posted: 07-21-2020, 6:19 AM
    Like I pointed out. HA seems broken at the time in SP20 as I succeed with earlier releases.

//Henke
    Posted: 07-21-2020, 7:53 AM

Hi Henke

There was an issue with the live sync configuration in the initial SP20 release. However, its fixed in the latest hotfix pack (HPK 4) available on cloud. Can you please install the same and let me know if you are still facing an issue?

Thanks

Bhavyan

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy