Netapp snapvault backup copy job

Last post 09-22-2020, 2:22 AM by westwood71. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Netapp snapvault backup copy job
    Posted: 07-15-2020, 2:28 AM

We have a backup copy job of a Netapp snapvault completed with errors because some VMs within the volume failed to copy. How can we restart the copy job to get the failed VMs copied to tape?

Commvault Version: 11.18

• Re: Netapp snapvault backup copy job
    Posted: 07-22-2020, 6:15 AM

if Running on IndexV2 (w/ SnapVault only supported up to SP17 and again from FR20), you could have requested the BackupCopy per VM.

With IndexV1 you can only recopy the complete job and hope for the best....

I ran into this issue with only one out of 140VMs covered by one job lately.
    As a workaround, I mounted the Datastore's Snapshot manually and used the vCenter to register the VM failed during backupCopy (only).
    Then used a streaming backup to get it to tape for longterm retention.

recopy of multiple TBs of data using NBD (which to me is the 2nd best option) instead of NAS protocol to backupCopy VMs on NFS datastores didn't seem to be a good idea.

but on the other hand, I only have to backupCopy the data only once a quarter 

If there is a better Solution, I'm also interrested in that one.

rgds
    Klaus

Posted: 07-22-2020, 9:12 AM

It is SP18 ...

I can not re-copy the job. This option is disabled in the context menu. I tried to "Pick for Backup Copy" in the snapvault copy, but the following backup copy process says there are no data to copy ...

70% of the VMs failed to copy to tape. So we don't want to mount the datastore manually and use a streaming backup.

The customer wants to re-run the backup copy to have a valid/complete backup on tape. It seems not to be possible to do that.

Maybe someone has an idea on hoto re-copy an existing snapshot from a snapvault storage to tape.

Thanks,

Christoph  

Posted: 07-22-2020, 9:39 AM

If I delete the job on the primary (the tape copy), does this delete the job from the snapvault copy also?

If not, I will delete the job on the tape copy and try to re-copy the snapvault ...

Posted: 07-24-2020, 4:04 AM

Hi Christoph 

For Backup Copy you can't pick jobs for "recopy" if it is not in a sequential state. 

What I mean is if there are already successful Backup Copy Jobs and you want to go back to re-copy another Job, the system won't allow you to do so. This is because Snapshots cannot be backup copied out of sequence due to indexing limitations

You can reach out to Support and get there assistance to with doing the "Re-copy" which requires a script from Development

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 07-24-2020, 5:13 AM

deleting the job in the backupcopy does not enable the recopy of a snap backup.

even recycling / erasing the media used for the first attempted copy is not sufficient.

Frown

rgds
    Klaus

Posted: 09-22-2020, 2:22 AM

We opened a ticket with support team and they mentioned that re-copy is not possible if the primary snapshot no longer exists and the clients is using indexing V1.

Regards,

Christoph

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy