Sharepoint Online Backup Using Commvault On-Prem

Last post 07-30-2020, 2:51 PM by mikeymac. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sharepoint Online Backup Using Commvault On-Prem
    Posted: 07-15-2020, 8:31 AM

Hi!

Commvault V11 SP18.24.    Our entire CommCell infrastructure is on-prem (no Media Agents/Storage in the Cloud).     We are testing backups of Sharepoint Online to Commvault.   We already perform Exchange backups for a 125TiB mailbox environment, with 'good 'nuff' speeds of ~60GB/hour.

Sharepoint, however, seems to be a slightly different animal.   

We have a mere 15GiB (yes, gigabytes) of data on our Sharepoint sites.  Maybe 5,000 objects.  I learned from my Exchange Online experience that more O365 service accounts = less throttling/better performance, but I figured for an  initial 15GiB of data, a single account would do the job.   We only eke out ~1GB/hour (for both full and incremental backups).    So a full backup of the 15GiB can take over 12 hours!   Incremental runs have processed in as little as 20 minutes, and as long as 4 hours.  

Based on an engagement with Commvault Support, and reference to the Commvault FAQ for Sharepoint Online:

1.) We added four more O365 service accounts to the config

2.) Explicitly enabled Azure API call decoration (which is supposedly set by default, but WTH!)

3.) Specified 'Backup latest version only' when initiating a backup

After these changes, the next Full backup realized ~1.4GB/hour.    So a marked improvement (but, regrettably, no where near fast enough to be practical).

I have a ticket open with Commvault Support, and I'm waiting on a response on this next question:

What is considered to be a reasonable thoughput rate for backups from Sharepoint Online to an On-Prem Commvault Commcell?    Has anyone managed to hit 60 or 120GB/hour?  Microsoft throttling is a real thing, but has Commvault managed to effectively work-around this for Sharepoint Online?

For people with Media Agents and storage in the Cloud, what are your experiences with protecting Sharepoint Online with Commvault?  

Is Commvault worth it for the Sharepoint Online use case, or is Microsoft's built-in data protection and backup sufficient for most customers?  

Thank you for your time!

mikeymac

• Re: Sharepoint Online Backup Using Commvault On-Prem
    Posted: 07-30-2020, 2:24 PM

Were you able to find out more from Support? Or did you still need more information?

• Re: Sharepoint Online Backup Using Commvault On-Prem
    Posted: 07-30-2020, 2:51 PM

I had a meeting with our account team and one of the Commvault Sharepoint Online developers this morning.   Apparently, they're re-writing the Sharepoint Online agent with many optimization features.   They want me to run some backups again and re-capture logs, and send them along to them for review.  

This may be a case where it may not be ready for prime-time in its current incarnation, but maybe the next version can do the job.  It's possible that these guys (who are actual Sharepoint Online agent experts) will spot a misconfiguration of some kind.  

Thanks for your reply!  

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy