I need to get a detailed job report...but how?

Last post 07-29-2020, 2:11 AM by stefan.vollrath. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • I need to get a detailed job report...but how?
    Posted: 07-27-2020, 9:35 AM

I am able to look at the standard job summary reports from any given time period, but what I really need to do is look at, ideally in one single report, is:

- a list of all the "live" clients that are currently backing up, say within the last week

- whether they are running filesystem backups or just backing up as a VM (or both),

- for filesystem backups, what filesystems are being included and what is being specifically filtered/excluded.

I've been playing around with what I can see in Commcell and in the webconsole, but I honestly can't figure out how to get to exactly what I need.

Can anyone provide pointers, please? The Commvault documentation for figuring out reporting is an utter seething disaster.

Thanks.

• Re: I need to get a detailed job report...but how?
    Posted: 07-27-2020, 9:39 AM
    • Aplynx is not online. Last active: 08-13-2020, 3:38 PM Liam
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,871

Job Summary report should cover this. 

Posted: 07-27-2020, 9:41 AM

That doesn't seem to cover the "filesystems included and excluded."

Posted: 07-27-2020, 9:47 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,871

It included contents and filters for each client if the option is enabled. The job options show inlude options such as running, no run and no schedule which would show clients that are active during the report's time frame or not running any jobs. 

Posted: 07-27-2020, 9:50 AM

Aplynx:

It included contents and filters for each client if the option is enabled. The job options show inlude options such as running, no run and no schedule which would show clients that are active during the report's time frame or not running any jobs. 

That's useful -- but, where do I enable that option??

Posted: 07-27-2020, 9:56 AM
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-04-2010
    • New Jersey
    • Master
    • Points 1,871

These are all default options for the job summary report that can be included or exclude when configuring the report. 

Posted: 07-27-2020, 10:17 AM

I'm not trying to be awkward, but seriously: I've tried to configure reports so that I get a relatively simple and readable thing which includes what I listed in my first post, and either the report seems to include no information about filesystems at all, or it ends up with detailed unreadable wadges of useless stuff that I have no interest in (see attached screenshot).

There MUST, somehow, somewhere, be a happy medium - but I do not know which options to use.

This must be obvious to people who already know it, but it is not obvious from item descriptions.

Attachment: CCreportbumff.PNG
    Posted: 07-29-2020, 2:11 AM

try some of the Web-Reports and copy together your own SQL-Queries from them. Any attempt to rework the Reports from JavaConsole were futile for us. 

In the end you will have to familiarise yourself with the CommServe Database Tables and Views to really get what you want customized.

CommCellSubClientConfig gives good overview over configured Subclients, their StoragePolicies and Scheduling (omits automatic Schedules sometimes)

CommcellBackupInfoStats has a list of all previously completed Jobs, activly running Jobs could be found in CNJobsBackupView

Figuring out a Subclients content can be tricky, especially with Global Filters and SubclientPolicies in play, don't know a Table or View for that right away. Personally use a qoperation to Get SubclientProperties and parse the xml output, that way I should have everything. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy