Global Secondary Copy Policy : Advantages and Disadvantages when using Backup Tapes

Last post 07-30-2020, 4:21 AM by Wwong. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Global Secondary Copy Policy : Advantages and Disadvantages when using Backup Tapes
    Posted: 07-28-2020, 9:13 AM

I have five main Storage Policies currently writing data to hard disk arrays. I've just introduced a Quantum i3 to the environment and it has three tape read/write drives.

If my retention period is to be identical across all five Storage Policies is it recommended that I should first define a Global Secondary Copy Policy? Basically, are there any specific disadvantages of using a Global Secondary Copy Policy (e.g. flexibility to set varying data retention policies)?

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11638.htm refers to a couple of advantages (which look like a 'no brainer') however there must be disadvantages?

• Re: Global Secondary Copy Policy : Advantages and Disadvantages when using Backup Tapes
    Posted: 07-30-2020, 4:21 AM

Hi Gateshead 

With Global Secondary Copy, as you may already be aware it is just combining all the Backup from different Storage Policy Copy, into a single stream (single Tape Drive) when writing to a Tape Library 

The benefit is cost saving on Tapes, as we will continue to write to the tape until it is full before we move on to the next Tape. Whereas if you do Aux Copy to Tape at a Storage Policy level, we will only Aux Copy the associated jobs for the specific Storage Policy. 

A possible downside of using Global Secondary Copy is the restore speed. When using Global Secondary Copy we are leveraging multiplexing so we can write multiple streams to a single tape. However because Tape Medium is a sequential Media, during restore it might be seeking back and forth on the Tape Media to identify the required Archive File, resulting in slow read speed 

Additionally a Tape will not be marked as Aged, unless all the Jobs on the Tape (across all 5 Storage Policy) has met retention. 

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy