How to set retention for an Oracle database to last until end of 2025

Last post 08-05-2020, 9:42 PM by bill.ng. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • How to set retention for an Oracle database to last until end of 2025
    Posted: 08-05-2020, 4:11 PM

Hi Colleagues,

I have an Oracle database that is already set to READ ONLY mode at the tablespace level. The DB will be decommissioned by 2026 but needs to be online for the time being. So, I reckon that I simply need one DB backup and set up the retention to be automatically expired on Jan 1, 2026.

My initial thought is to do an offline backup of that DB once. If somehow the backup needs to be restored in place or elsewhere, I simply look it up.

What's your recommend method to do that? Should I simply create a new storage policy and define the "extended retention rules for full backups" to allow it to be kept for roughly 2000 days from today?

Thanks in advance for input and most of all any links where a solution could be documented.

• Re: How to set retention for an Oracle database to last until end of 2025
    Posted: 08-05-2020, 5:50 PM

You can manually extend retention of existing jobs without creating new storage policy.

Check here: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=13990.htm

Posted: 08-05-2020, 6:30 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 09-30-2020, 7:07 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,744

Hi Bill,

I suspect that the DB in question is in "no-archivelog" mode If you will be running an offline backup.  This is good as it eliminates the need to use any logs for recovery purposes.  ;)

If you are using tape, one easy way would be to run the job with use new media (so it grabs a new tape, and then also mark media full after the job completes.   Now you can keep that tape for as long as you need the backup. (Write protected, sitting on a shelf)  As long at the tape does not get re-used, your data will be safe on that tape -- even if it ages)

If you are using disk storage (disk-library) then after running the backup, you can "manually pin" the job in the policy/copy.  It will not get pruned until you "un-pin" the job.

This can be done by right clicking on the job from the copy (in the policy) and select "retain job".  You will get a pop up menu where you can select infinite retention or retain until (user selected date).

Let us know if this helps.

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
    Posted: 08-05-2020, 9:37 PM

Thanks. That really pointed me to the right location. It turned out that I need to go to the copy to view the jobs, not from the storage policy level. Otherwise, I won't see the "retain for" option when I right click the job. Thanks again for your prompt reply and assistance.

Posted: 08-05-2020, 9:42 PM

LaughingTo both efg and euMike. Thanks for your input and prompt assistance. Your suggestion helps. I am going to retain for the job and manually set an expired date for it. Thanks so much again.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy