Using nagios to monitor mediaagents? Consistent errors whenever I do a live browse

Last post 09-14-2020, 7:59 PM by Wwong. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Using nagios to monitor mediaagents? Consistent errors whenever I do a live browse
    Posted: 09-03-2020, 2:05 PM

Hi All,

Our commserve server and two mediaagents use nagios, specifically the NSClient++ most recent version, to monitor services, CPU and RAM, etc.

I have noticed something odd with the mediaagents and nagios. Whenever I try to do a live browse, I get a string of warning emails from our nagios server about not being able to connect to whichever mediaagent I'm trying to do the Live Browse from. This occurs on both media agents with great reliability - if I browse on MA2, I get emails about MA2 within minutes. If I browse on MA1, I get the same.

After the live browse is finished, within another few minutes I get "recovery successful" emails from nagios saying that it's re-established the connection.

The contents of the email are always this:

Subject is always like: ** PROBLEM: mediaagent01 - CPU Usage is UNKNOWN **

Body is always like:

CHECK_NRPE STATE UNKNOWN: Socket timeout after 25 seconds.

CHECK_NRPE: Invalid packet version received from server.

I am wondering what the heck the mediaagents are doing during a live browse that causes these errors to occur so consistently. Anyone else using NSClient++ or nagios in general to monitor their commvault infrastructure?

• Re: Using nagios to monitor mediaagents? Consistent errors whenever I do a live browse
    Posted: 09-14-2020, 7:59 PM

Hi md5hash

I understand nagios is an open source monitoring software, have you had any luck getting details on what happens during these specific checks? Is it purely to poll the CPU utilization from the Server (MediaAgent)?

If you can get more details from nagios or from there support, you can then relay this information to Commvault Support so they can assist further to understand why this behavior is occuring while doing Live Browse. 

Kind Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy