Move Client to another Commcell: All data and retention

Last post 10-28-2020, 5:20 AM by Shin. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Move Client to another Commcell: All data and retention
    Posted: 09-09-2020, 4:28 AM

Hi ,

I would like to know what is the best way for move a Client and all data retention (disk and tape) to another Commcell ? because i dont like to iniatiate a first full backup in the commcell destination (full backup too long for this client).

Any help is appreciated

• Re: Move Client to another Commcell: All data and retention
    Posted: 09-09-2020, 8:47 AM

That is not supported after a Commcell Migration with deduplicated storage policies.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=5163.htm

Posted: 09-14-2020, 5:09 AM

Hi ,

So , if i want to move just one client to another Commcell (30 To), what's the efficient way to move this client and data (Disklib and Tape CopyAux)

Thx

Posted: 09-14-2020, 2:30 PM

Have you seen this?

http://forum.commvault.com/forums/65811/ShowThread.aspx#65811

Posted: 09-29-2020, 9:51 AM

So , we have 2 environnement Commcell ,

Commcell S (source) : we have one machine to move in the Commcell D

Commcell D (destination)

I have a idea but i dont know if its conceivable or not possible :

Commcell D : Create a new Disklib and GDSP

Commcell S : Configure in a MA existing : Associate this new Disklib / Gdsp

Commcell S : Re-Associate the machine in the new GDSP (which give to transfert a machine to GDSP Source to GDSP Destination).

Thank you

Posted: 10-12-2020, 2:09 AM

Hi Shin 

You won't be able to cross-reference a Disk Library and GDSP created on Commcell D with CommScell S. 

As mentioned in the previous update, your best option is to do a CommCell Migration and merge the Client into the existing CommCell (which will retain all the Historical Data and reference to the Disk Library and Tape Library). 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp18/article?p=5078.htm 

Unfortunately if you would like to continue backing up the Client, you will need to register the Client (post migration) and associate it to a new GDSP and run a new Full backup. 

I don't believe you can reference the migrated DDB and will need to lay down new block references

Regards

Winston

Posted: 10-13-2020, 10:16 AM

Hi ,

So , in my case (move just one client to another Commcell) , whats the difference betwenn Commcell  Migration and "Install Multi Instance Commcell" ?

Commcell Migration (retain All Hsitorical and Ref to the disk et tape) => Ok

So , If i use a multi instance on my client , Disable "Backup Activity" on my client in the source (not disable data aging for in the past decommisionning), and activate Backup in the destination (new instance 002).

So whats the difference between these two functionality ?

Regards

SH

Posted: 10-28-2020, 2:29 AM

Hi Shin 

When you have multi-instance configured on the Client, each of the Instance which are connected to there corresponding Commcell will only keep track of the History for that instance.

So if Instance 1 goes to Commcell A and Instance 2 goes to Commcell B, only CommCell A is aware of the backup history for Instance 1 and not vice-versa

Whereas the Commcell Migration is actually taking an existing Client and migrating it into an existing Commcell, retaining all the config and history for that client. 

In saying that if you do a Commcell Migration and would like to continue backing up that Client, you will need to move the client to a different Storage Policy and run a new Full Backup (as this will re-write the new baseline data)

Note - once a client is migrated to another CommCell you can't continue backing it up to the same MA and Storage.

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 10-28-2020, 5:20 AM

Hi 

Thank you for this reply

So , yes , Instance A for restore data , and i leave the old data age until the end of the retention

Instance B goes to Commcell B for new backup

In comparaison with CCM , the finality its the same ??

If i use CCM to move the client , the second step its really a new full backup (not a Full incremental ?? )

And if i use CCM and move the client in Commcell B, quid  for restore data ? , the Commcell B request the Commcell A for the ChunkData and Index , its that ??

Because i want to know what's the quickest solution , and if possible , i dont want initiate a New Full Backup..its a big client and a new full backup its very too too long :/

Regards

Shin

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy