Process for DFSR Restore on VM?

Last post 10-07-2020, 5:01 PM by TPStorage. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Process for DFSR Restore on VM?
    Posted: 09-20-2020, 10:00 PM

Hi All,

I have a number of VM's that I backup with a VSA backup. Now each of these VM's have 2 windows volumes/drives containing data that is configured in a DFSR mesh replication group. I understand that a restore of DFSR data using a VSA based restore is not supported nor recommended by Microsoft, so I am using a file level agent to back up the DFSR data volumes. As such I filter out the VMDK disk files in the VSA subclient that hold the DFSR data so the VSA backup will not back then up.

I recently performed a restore test of one of the server’s OS drives which I completed by the using the VSA backup and the "attach disk to existing VM" method restoring the OS VMDK and attaching it to the guest VM (which was powered off at the time of restore).

Now when the system is powered back on windows is complaining that the DFSR database no longer valid/exists and has issue recreating a new one, essentially the DFSR DB residing in the disks system volume information folder needs to have the ownership permission changed and then the actual DFSR DB completely deleted.

I have been asked to perform another test in a weeks’ time but asking if anyone has a similar setup to mine and how they are able to perform restores on VM guest’s OS drives without impacting the DFSR DB, possibly look to disable the DFSR replication group before the restores?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Process for DFSR Restore on VM?
    Posted: 10-07-2020, 3:55 PM

Did you ever get this figured out?  I'm wondering if what you really need is to backup and restore all the VMs in the DFSR group at the same time as an all or nothing proposition.  You could probably use Intellisnap or some other technique to get the VM snapshots to all happen at the same time. 

• Re: Process for DFSR Restore on VM?
    Posted: 10-07-2020, 5:01 PM

Thanks for the infomration Boberic, the customer does not have the abiliy for intellisnap.

I have done further investigation and testing on this and have come to the conclusion that any DFSR restore or restore of the OS driver from a VSA backup will either require the DFSR DB to be deleted and windows creates a new one or the entire DFSR configuration re setup for that one server.

I was performing these tasks before but have also confirmed that a clone in VMware will corrupt the DFSR DB on the DFSR data volume on the system, in this scenario both options above works.

Appreacite you time to reply to this thread but think i have found my answer.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy