Compare a backup to what is on a server

Last post 09-29-2020, 9:00 AM by Dataprotectionshow. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Compare a backup to what is on a server
    Posted: 09-25-2020, 10:59 AM

I had an intersting question from a user today. The Help Desk turned off replication on her workstation. In doing so, some files became corrupted and some went missing, but she couldn't remember all of the files she may have touched in the last two weeks to have them restored. She was wondering if we could run a check that would show what the backup had that might be missing on the server. I am fairly new to the Commvault product and did not know if that is even possible. I told them I would post this in the Commvault Community to see what other people might do. We are currently using v11 SP18.22. Thanks,

Ed Reber
  • Re: Compare a backup to what is on a server
    Posted: 09-29-2020, 9:00 AM

Good Day,

I assume the following,

Client AND Server has backups on a daily basis? 

I also assume that the client has now the corrupted and missing files, but at this point the non-replication hit and the server has a version of * days earlier (the time the replication stopped)?

So why does the customer not have a look at the modified date of their files?

If there are incremental backups, I'd do a browse and restore on jobid-level (Not on Backupsetlevel - have a look at the jobhistory of the subclients). There you have all CHANGED Data.

Maybe also you could use "Show deleted Items" in the Browse-and-Restore on the Backupsetlevel..

Please provide further details if not solved yet.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy