AUX performance issue

Last post 10-28-2020, 2:25 AM by Wwong. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • AUX performance issue
    Posted: 10-07-2020, 4:23 PM

Hello,

We are currently testing AUX backups from on-premise out to AWS.  Everything is working fine but the performance is much lower than expected.  After digging around a bit, it appears that when Commvaut Support configured our one-way firewall between the local MAs and single AWS MA, all the data is now being sent over a single TCP connection (Port 8403) on each of our local Hyperscale nodes. (Multiple AUX streams per server using a single TCP connection to port 8403)  How do we force Commvault to use multiple ports/connections for increased performance from each of our source MAs?  I already tried adding the additional ports (i.e. 8405) to the firewall configuration on the AWS MA but I'm still only seeing port 8403 listening after pushing out the change and even restarting the agents.  The single TCP connection is capping out at around 10mbps.  We see similar numbers when running iPerf using a single stream.  If we run iPerf with multiple streams, we get increased throughput as expected.  We now just need Commvault to leverage multiple connections to AWS for improved throughput.

Thanks,

- Bill

• Re: AUX performance issue
    Posted: 10-12-2020, 2:29 AM

Hi Bill 

When you refer to adding the additional ports, have you done this on the Source HS Nodes as well as the Destination AWS MA?

As mentioned in BOL to leverage all the additional ports the settings needs to be applied on both Source and Destination MA, so the MA knows what traffic to route

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=7394.htm

If you are still experiencing issue with the config, I would recommend to reach out to Support to take another look and see if any configuration is missing

Regards

Winston 

Posted: 10-12-2020, 12:30 PM

Hi Winston,

I did try adding the additional ports on both the source and destination MAs but it didn't seem to make a difference whatsoever.  Only port 8403 continued to be used. (One connection per source MA)  I even confirmed that the updated port entries did make it to the FwConfig file as well.  I'm presently working with Commvault Support.  Thank you.

Posted: 10-28-2020, 2:25 AM

Hi BillyK 

Thanks for the update 

Keep us posted on how everything goes here

Regards

Winston 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy