NDMP restore of 7-Mode NetApp LUN on Cluster mode

Last post 10-28-2020, 10:47 PM by OzStuAgain. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • NDMP restore of 7-Mode NetApp LUN on Cluster mode
    Posted: 10-12-2020, 4:03 AM
    Hi Folk,
    We've got a whole heap of historical NDMP backups of NetApp 7-Mode LUNS that I am having trouble restoring.
    They were originally written to tape, that have now been migrated to Cloud (Azure) storage, that I am now trying to restore to a NetApp Cluster mode cluster.
    I have successfully restored them to an old 7-mode controller as a visible LUN, but we need to power it down and dispose of it.....
    I have also restored the LUN file to cluster mode, but it does not appear as a NetApp LUN - it appears as a file (as NetApp LUNS are) but is lacking that something special that tells the Cluster/Node that it's a LUN.

I have successfully restore the LUN/file using node-scoped NDMP, SVM-scoped (both SVM direct and cluster-aware), but none of them appear as a LUN.

Am I missing something obvious?

We're on CommVault V11.20, CLuster is on NetApp ONTAP 9.7 P3  and the old filers were on 8.2 SP1

Cheers,
    Stuart
  • Re: NDMP restore of 7-Mode NetApp LUN on Cluster mode
    Posted: 10-28-2020, 2:24 AM

Hi Stuart 

This sounds a bit weird 

From a Commvault perspective it is just reading the Objects from Azure and rebuilding the Backup Copy data that was captured as part of the Primary Copy. 

Have we engaged NetApp to check whether there could be a compatability or a setting that needs to be enabled on the Destination Filer so the LUN is recognized?

Regards

Winston 

• Re: NDMP restore of 7-Mode NetApp LUN on Cluster mode
    Posted: 10-28-2020, 10:47 PM

I have, I have a support ticket, and posted in the forums (which has been more helpful to be honest!)

https://community.netapp.com/t5/ONTAP-Discussions/NDMP-restore-of-7-Mode-NetApp-LUN-on-Cluster-mode-LUN-not-appearing/m-p/160206/highlight/true#M36617

I still don't have a solid answer, (I haven't tried the last 'unsupported' option).

And the issue occurs when restoring from tape too (we still have the tapes for the next month or two)

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy