VSA browse and restore - Sorting by filenames seems unefficient

Last post 10-15-2020, 9:31 PM by Anthony.Hodges. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSA browse and restore - Sorting by filenames seems unefficient
    Posted: 10-15-2020, 5:11 AM

Hello,

We use v11SP20hp17

I am asked to restore a file from a folder containing thousands of files, from a linux VM that's been backup using VSA.

I am trying to browse from the VM subclient, can see the tree, navigate to the folder containing the thousands of files, but then the files are in random order, and Commcell Console lists the content of this folder to dozens of pages.

I try then to click on 'Name' to get ascending sorting (as with normal Filesystem backup browsing), or even descending, but still the view does not change, files are still randomly viewed. It's then very hard for me to look for the file to restore, and I have to check line by line, then next page, line by line, etc.. 

I also tried to use the 'find' option in the view, to 'Show matching rows only', but it shows the same amount of pages, and doesn't reduce the result to only 1 file. 

I also tried to add a 'Filter' to the 'Name' field , with 'Name contains' + 'ROD_1_23382_1000036524.arc' (which is the file name of the file I'm asked to restore, with the same result : view is empty, still multiple pages to go (1/2/3/4/5/ >>).

How do you perform such operation ?

Have you already encountered this case ? Is this an "old" Java Commcell Console limitation ?

I did not check using Web Adminconsole..

Any feedback would be appreciated, as I found no post on such, so I'm feeling alone ;)

• Re: VSA browse and restore - Sorting by filenames seems unefficient
    Posted: 10-15-2020, 10:23 AM

Perhaps related to this, I have VSA based backups of Windows VMware VMs.  When I go to restore guest files I'm seeing that they don't sort by date properly.  Here's an example screen shot:

Attachment: cv-sort-date.jpg
    Posted: 10-15-2020, 10:55 AM

Yes, Boberic, it's the same for me..

Here's a partial screenshot where I tried to sort by name descending (Z to A then 9 to 0 order, I guess), but one can easily see that files are not sorted this way at all.

Posted: 10-15-2020, 11:17 AM

I'm currently testing "File Indexing for Virtual Machines" feature, which has been introduced with FR11.20. File search is super fast compared to live browse. You can also sort and filter by size and file type.

Docs: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=101637.htm

Posted: 10-15-2020, 2:24 PM
    Hi,

Please create a CMR for this, we will provide sorting of the contents during live browse of data to address it as soon as possible.

Thanks,
    Ankur
    Posted: 10-15-2020, 9:31 PM

Have you been using it long? Any limitations so far compared to classic file indexing? I have been keen to roll this out for months now. :)

euMike:

I'm currently testing "File Indexing for Virtual Machines" feature, which has been introduced with FR11.20. File search is super fast compared to live browse. You can also sort and filter by size and file type.

Docs: https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=101637.htm

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy