Backup Straight to Tape - How would you do it?

Last post 10-28-2020, 5:53 PM by tsmtmiller. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Backup Straight to Tape - How would you do it?
    Posted: 10-28-2020, 3:04 PM

Hello, We have old data on a very old netapp system that is not added into Commvault. We want to back this data up straight to tape then delete it. My plan was to:

1. Create new volume / share on our Flexpod (Uses Intellisnap)

2. Copy old data to new flexpod share.  

3. Create new Storage Policy to tape only.

4. Create new backup set under existing flexpod client with existing backup set / schedule that runs daily.

5. After backup is complete, delete the contents of the folder.  

I tested this, it works, however the issue is that the schedule associated to the client is stuck to the new backup set I created. I can't filter the new backup set out or remove the schedule from the new backup set. So basically the backup needs to finish before the daily schedule runs. This will be a problem with large jobs that take a long time to copy / backup. I can disable the subclient from backups but then I can't manually run a backup job. 

So I am wondering how you would do this / if there was a better way to back up straight to tape? The reason I wanted to use the Flexpod was because of the intellisnap feature.  

• Re: Backup Straight to Tape - How would you do it?
    Posted: 10-28-2020, 3:30 PM
    • efg is not online. Last active: 12-01-2020, 2:10 PM efg
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 02-02-2010
    • CommVault Tinton Falls NJ
    • Master
    • Points 1,755

Hmm...  thinking about this...  if you want to go direct to to tape, then why not mount the data from the filer directly to a linux server using NFS (with the CV client installed) then create a new subclient pointing to the mount and back that up direct to tape.  Just don't create a schedule for the new subclient or associate to any existing schedules.   Then manually run the backup.

Since the mount point is NFS it gets skipped automatically from the default subclient, but using a created subclient pointing to that NFS mount will force the subclient to back up the NFS mount. 

Configuring Backups for NFS-Mounted File Systems

Fewer moving parts and once the backup is complete just pin the copy with infinite retention.

Of course, you will still need to create a tape based policy.

Let us know if this helps...

Ernst F. Graeler
    Senior Engineer III
    Development
  • Re: Backup Straight to Tape - How would you do it?
    Posted: 10-28-2020, 5:53 PM

Thanks for your response. I understand your suggestion, but we would have to go through change mgmt to get a new server.

I found out how to remove the schedule policy from the backup set (I didnt originally see this) 

On the schedule policy, you can deselect the other backup set via the edit tab. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy