Media agent unc paths

Last post 11-19-2020, 12:25 PM by Prasad Nara. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Media agent unc paths
    Posted: 11-18-2020, 3:18 PM

So I have probably a basic question but cannot seem to process the logic.

I have two media agents and dedicated storage for Commvault. At implementation a few years ago they setup up 5 (20 TB) netapp volumes as local disk per media agent. So ma1 has J - N mapped and ma2 has J - N mapped. Each media agent then has 5 unc mount paths to each other. So ma1 sees the 5 local disks on ma2 and ma2 sees the local disks on ma1. Since they are unc paths if the ma1 media agent goes down then ma2 basically looses access to the ma1 local disks, is that correct?

Hopefully that makes sense. The reason I'm asking is I set up a second media agent at a different site but it is only using mount paths via unc so if the source media agent goes down then do I lose access?

Thanks.

• Re: Media agent unc paths
    Posted: 11-18-2020, 4:21 PM

If the UNC path on MA2 is poiting directly to netapp share and not the share from MA1 (\\MA1\path) then you will have access even if MA1 goes down.

if path is poiting to MA1 (\\MA1\path...) then you will loose access.

Posted: 11-18-2020, 6:57 PM

Prasad Nara:

If the UNC path on MA2 is poiting directly to netapp share and not the share from MA1 (\\MA1\path) then you will have access even if MA1 goes down.

if path is poiting to MA1 (\\MA1\path...) then you will loose access.

So I have a netapp disk mounted as a local disk on ma1 path = K:\

So from ma2 the mount path is \\ma1\k$ using the ma1 administrator account

Both have Read/Write access and the Transport Type is Regular.

There is no server share setup for "K:\" on the ma1 server so does this mean if ma1 is unavailable ma2 would not have access?

Posted: 11-19-2020, 12:25 PM

if share is \\MA1\K$ means we need MA1 machine up and runing to access the share. if the machine is down then we can't access the path since the share is served by windows on that machine not the netapp server.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy