DB2 can't do Selective Copies?

Last post 03-01-2011, 3:35 AM by chuan.jiawei. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • DB2 can't do Selective Copies?
    Posted: 02-17-2011, 10:34 PM

Hello,

We currently have a few DB2 iDataAgents running in our environment at (8.0), and I notice that even though we have created multiple selective copies and associated the DB2 subclients to these selective copies, for some reason they're not being copied.

Only the Synchronous Copies are copied, but not the Selective ones.

I did ask a couple of people and they did mention that we can't perform Selective Copies for DB2 iDA, is this true?

If so then my worst fears have just been realised because now we are unable to restore data that we require  from a few months back. Our primary copies are on disk and have a shorter retention period.

Just curious, is this mentioned on Books Online?

• Re: DB2 can't do Selective Copies?
    Posted: 02-18-2011, 1:06 AM

Hello,

This is unfortunately correct.  It is shown in the link below:

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/storage_policy_copy/support_storage_policy_copy.htm

You will need to utilize Synchronous Copies for the DB2 data - if this does not fit into your existing storage policy setup, I would recommend either a synchronous copy and control the Associations tab, or create a storage policy for your DB2 backups.

JW

• Re: DB2 can't do Selective Copies?
    Posted: 03-01-2011, 3:35 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your reply on the matter. I tried to use the Extended Retention Rule since DB2 doesn't support Selective Copies, however, it seems that even the ERR doesn't apply for DB2 backups. Is this the case as well?

We have a requirement to keep our monthly DB2 backups for 7 years, but it doesn't seem viable if we extend our retention to 7 years, as doing that would mean even our Daily backups are kept for 7 years - we can't afford that much storage/tapes!

What would be a good way to go around this? Thanks

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy