Laptop Backup - Something new on the way?

Last post 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Laptop Backup - Something new on the way?
    Posted: 02-24-2011, 1:24 PM

If we move to capacity licensing, laptop backup is one area I'd be interested in using Commvault for, but not the current Workstation CDR type product as it simply seems like too much hassle - I don't really want to see/configure X laptops within the CommCell Console.

Someone at Commvault suggested there may be a new "install and forget" type agent on the way that would pretty much install, and then just sync data automatically back to your central Commvault install.

Does anyone know anything about it?

• Re: Laptop Backup - Something new on the way?
    Posted: 02-24-2011, 1:54 PM

I was told they are moving away from the CDP style agent to a standard windows agent (like the server windows agent)

but yes you have to configure it just like the servers.

I've started testing it and it will run missed jobs as soon as the workstation comes online. But if I role this out like we plan ~200 notebooks, I can see it being a management issue in the comcell

Posted: 02-24-2011, 2:09 PM

Paul, the 9.0 iteration of laptop backup will leverage client side dedup and regular file system agent.  The deployment can be performed via the GUI and the clients admin'ed bsaed on some of the details in BOL.  From a high level it looks less clunky than WBA

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/products/laptop_backup/advanced_options.htm

Posted: 02-24-2011, 2:59 PM

huh, I was told to push the install just like a server.

I check the box that its a laptop but I don't get the backup monitor. I'm running SP1a...

I'm also not using a proxy to access the comcell or media agents.

Do you have to use the custom package installer to get the backup monitor?

I'm reading about the end user recovery now

Posted: 02-24-2011, 4:17 PM

Check the base dir for Laptop2Taskbaricon.exe.  Not sure if you need a custom package but I've seen lots of posts which the feb recut DVD fixed, so might want to start there.

Posted: 02-24-2011, 4:37 PM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

Check the base dir for Laptop2Taskbaricon.exe.  Not sure if you need a custom package but I've seen lots of posts which the feb recut DVD fixed, so might want to start there.

found Laptop2Taskbaricon.exe and it works, now just need to look why it doesn't load automagically. I could always drop it in the startup folder, but I assume the isntaller should do that.

thanks,jb

Posted: 02-25-2011, 10:44 AM

If you check the installer logs the final piece of the laptop2 install creates the icon.

%allusersprofile%\Commvault Systems\Galaxy\LogFiles

laptop2taskbaricon.log should show something like New taskbar icon created

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy