Deleting Dedupe Copy in a Storage Policy

Last post 03-01-2011, 8:39 PM by Brad Scott. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Deleting Dedupe Copy in a Storage Policy
    Posted: 02-24-2011, 6:34 PM

Still learning CV 8 so bear with me -

I have a Storage Policy that was created by somebody in the past while testing.  It has 3 Copies , with no jobs every actually processing on the Disk and Dedupe copies - however a few jobs did go to the Tape copy. 

The Dedupe and Disk copies reference a Data Path that is no longer necessary either, I'm deleting that Magnetic Library - can I just delete the Dedupe and Disk copies, but maintain the Tape copy, and the Storage Policy will be able to restore those backups that went to tape if that ever comes up in the future ?

Short version - if you delete Unused Copies inside a Storage Policy, does that impact restores that utilized a different Copy inside the same Storage Policy ?

I'm assuming not at all...just want to be sure.

• Re: Deleting Dedupe Copy in a Storage Policy
    Posted: 02-24-2011, 7:02 PM

I actually have a very similar query.

V9, i have a SP that is deduped, a mount path was deleted (by accident because the prevent data deletion setting was not applied). No biggy in this instance as we have data on tape to restore from if necessary. The data was deleted and aged and a new DDB created, a new mountpath was also created and the "missing" mount path set to offline.

I to would like to be able to remove the un-used mount path as there is no data still referenced in that location so deleting it will not affect the new DDB that was created or the new data that has been protected since.

If there is a SQL table i can edit i am happy to do that just want it gone!

Posted: 02-25-2011, 1:28 PM

This works for me:

1. Right click on the Storage Policy Name (ie, not copy) and go to the Associations tab. Re-Associate all clients with your new storage policy. Or if you intend to backup to tape instead, any storage policy, and you can put them back afterwards. 

2. Go to the properties of a Tape Copy and promote it to Primary Copy.

3. Delete any jobs in the Deduplicated Disk copies.

4. Run Data Aging x 2.

5. Delete the Deduplicated Disk Copy.

I only have Synchronous Copies, so for Selective Copies, I'm not sure if this will work. If it doesn't, create a synchronous, copy the data, and promote that.

DR Donnie
    --------------
    There's an evil monkey in my CommCell!
    Posted: 02-25-2011, 1:31 PM

Squify - In your case, you will have to do this:  

1. Right Click on your missing mount path - Delete Contents

2. Run Data Aging x 2

3. Open Library & Drive Configuration

4. Delete the Mount Path

5. Deconfig the Device

6. Delete the Device

DR Donnie
    --------------
    Posted: 02-25-2011, 1:37 PM

drdonniec_v:

Squify - In your case, you will have to do this:  

1. Right Click on your missing mount path - Delete Contents

2. Run Data Aging x 2

3. Open Library & Drive Configuration

4. Delete the Mount Path

5. Deconfig the Device

6. Delete the Device

I am assuming step one for me will come after step 5 in the previous post right? All makes sense, forgot about promoting copies...

Posted: 02-25-2011, 1:53 PM

Squify: That's right!

DR Donnie
    --------------
    Posted: 03-01-2011, 8:39 PM

I dont suppose there is a way of doing this without losing any data from the other mount paths in the MagLib and without deleting a copy? There must be a regkey to allow me to delete the mountpath that has no data in it and does not exist anymore??

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy