Rebooting of a Windows Server Client during a backup

Last post 03-04-2011, 1:40 PM by delsolaaron. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Rebooting of a Windows Server Client during a backup
    Posted: 03-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Hello all,

We are trying to create a windows server update schedule and what we need to know is what will happen when a Windows Server reboots while a backup job is being run it on. Simpana 8.0

I have been rebooting servers with commvault during backups phases for years and I have never had problems. It just picks up where it left off.

What is everyone elses though on this? Is it supported by commvault. Is there documentation on this specific question? Some members of my team think that the job will crash and will not restart.

Thanks for your time

• Re: Rebooting of a Windows Server Client during a backup
    Posted: 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Hello,

When this occurs, our services (CVD.exe and EvMgrc.exe) will stop on the Client and the job will go into a Pending state in the GUI.  It will keep retrying and once the services are back up and running the job will continue from the point it left off. 

If you do not want the job to go into a Pending state, you may want to schedule the backup to run before or after the reboot.

JW

Posted: 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Wow, that's something I never knew as I'd never have thought of rebooting a client mid-backup - thank you :)

Does the same go for the MA?

Posted: 03-01-2011, 1:01 PM

Similar results would be found if the MA was rebooted, with the exception that it may take some additional time for the CS and MA to sync up (services).  If the DDB is on the media agent, you run the risk of compromising the state of the DDB and may force to close the store and rebaseline, so be careful.

Its worth mentioning that the archive file that was currently being processed is invalidated and the data contained within it would be re-protected.  The maximum amount of data being protected

Posted: 03-01-2011, 4:58 PM

Hello,

Below is a good KB article link that mentions that the SIDB.exe and SIDB2.exe processes should be completed prior to a reboot on MediaAgents.

http://commvault.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6094

JW

Posted: 03-01-2011, 5:40 PM

In addition to the issues you face with corruption in your Dedupe databases if the SIDB.exe processes are still running you may also come across an issue whereby a shadow copy that was created by CommVault is not cleared properly and is left open. This will continue to grow until manually deleted.

Worth being aware of, personally I think rebooting servers during a backup is asking for trouble.

Posted: 03-04-2011, 1:40 PM

Thank you all for your help.

We will take this all into consideration.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy