VSA over VPN WAN Link?

Last post 03-01-2011, 1:38 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSA over VPN WAN Link?
    Posted: 03-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Is anyone using the VSA agent over a VPN/WAN link and if so how are you finding it please?

We have a remote site that has a server replacement due, and whilst it's only a single server site I'm struggling to see reasons to put Windows on the bare metal.

The server "head" would be a regular 40gb thin VMDK running 2008 R2.

For the data drive I have options, one being a VMDK, the other being to use an iSCSI SAN virtual appliance (we already have licenses).  If I did the latter I'd replicate SAN snapshots back to our main site I wouldn't look at using Commvault, or if I did I'd be looking at doing it using a File System iDA and I'd definitely be interested in moving to 9.0 and utilizing client side dedupe or "dash" backups (which I've not really looked into yet).

So, the focus of my question is about how good or not the VSA is at dealing with backups over slow links.  I can't see the link speed should matter, but it may.

The link between sites is 20mbps and the daily churn rate is around 10gb or so mon-fri based on traditional incremental backup stats.  The total amount of data is around 200gb, be interested if there's a way of pre-seeding it before doing backups over the WAN.

Thanks,

Paul

• Re: VSA over VPN WAN Link?
    Posted: 03-01-2011, 12:56 PM

I dont believe the link would pose an issue, except the amount of time its going to take to move the initial full.  9.0 SSD + synthetic full would minimize the data afterwards and would be the ideal setup. 

Posted: 03-01-2011, 1:01 PM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

I dont believe the link would pose an issue, except the amount of time its going to take to move the initial full.  9.0 SSD + synthetic full would minimize the data afterwards and would be the ideal setup. 

Thanks, and that all makes sense (what's SSD though?), where I was a little unclear was whether the vsphere change-block-tracking and VSA is pretty intelligent i.e. if there's 10gb of "churn" throughout the day but come backup time only 1gb of data has changed from the previous day, is it only 1gb of data that gets transferred (ignoring dedupe etc.)?

Posted: 03-01-2011, 1:38 PM

SSD = source side dedup

If only 1 gb worth of blocks changed from the prior backup the incremental size should be around 1gb.  The problem if the CTK file is fixed so you cannot use the size of the file as an indicator of how much change occurred.  The CTK file size is based on the virtual disk size so vmware allocates about 640k per 10GB.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy