DDB Backup Folder

Last post 03-02-2011, 4:57 PM by Brad Scott. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • DDB Backup Folder
    Posted: 03-01-2011, 8:20 PM

I have configured an alternative location for my DDB backups on one of our MediaAgents. What i was wondering is if I can safely delete the old "BACKUP" folders that are left in the DDB folders?

I really need the space back that they have been using...

• Re: DDB Backup Folder
    Posted: 03-02-2011, 2:49 PM

Could really use some advice on this one, running very low on space for the DDB need to clear out some space...

Posted: 03-02-2011, 2:55 PM

Squify,

I always hesitant to agree on deleting any type of data(I guess that's why I went into storage!).

Can you log a case and I will have an engineer confirm that it's AOK to remove that data?

Concerned that we may reference this information somehow.. somewhere.

If you message me the incident number or feel comfortable posting in this thread I will expedite.

Posted: 03-02-2011, 4:36 PM

Brad,

How did you move the location of the DDB Backup folder? the only supported method is with a reg key.

did you move the content of the backup folder to the new location?

AaronA

Posted: 03-02-2011, 4:39 PM

I configured the regkey, the storage policy then creates all subsequent backups of the DDB in this location, however the old backups are left in their orginal location. I assume they will be aged off but cannot confirm if this is happening and am not sure if they are still being referenced somehow. I do not think i can just copy them over as the folder names are all different when you change the default location.

Posted: 03-02-2011, 4:53 PM

Brad,

when the reg key was added the backup folder should have been moved to the new location. CV does not remember the original location and do a clean up.

The only issue with deleting the original backup folder is you dont' know if the new backups are valid. your last know good backup could reside in the original backup location and then new backup location could have bogus recovery points. in this case a reconstruction job would fail and cause a new DDB to be created.

I would recommend to call in a support ticket to verify the new recovery point are being created successfull.

AaronA.

Posted: 03-02-2011, 4:57 PM

I am confident that the backup folders do not get moved automatically as that is what would have happened in this instance. I put in the regkey and restarted the services and nothing happened until the next 8 hours ticked over and a new recovery point was created which then created the relevant folder structure.

I have several new recovery points for each SP now so i doubt that there are any recovery points still being referenced in the old location, i have logged a support call to clarify this.

I will update this thread with any useful information.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy