Virtual Server Agent and VMware

Last post 03-07-2011, 1:33 PM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Virtual Server Agent and VMware
    Posted: 03-02-2011, 10:57 AM

We are upgrading our VM backups from the VCB/file agent method to the VSA.  Can someone give me an overview of how it works when not using VCB.  I'm familiar with how it works when using VCB but we'd like to start using the new VMware backup APIs.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Re: Virtual Server Agent and VMware
    Posted: 03-02-2011, 12:05 PM

Bolsen,

I am including a PDF that describes the VSiDA and VADP.

Here are some links to Books Online as well.

Getting Started - Virtual Server iData Agent:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/prod_info/virtual_server.htm

System Requirements - Virtual Server iDataAgent:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/system_requirements/virtual_server.htm

Overview - Virtual Server iDataAgent:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/prod_overview/virtual_server.htm

Backup - Virtual Server:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/backup/virtual_server.htm

Backup - Virtual Server - How To:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/backup/virtual_server_how_to.htm

Restore Data - Virtual Server:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/restore/virtual_server.htm

Restore Virtual Server Disks as Virtual Hard Disks:
    http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/release_8_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/features/restore/virtual_server_how_to.htm#restore_disk_level_cont

Please let me know if you have any further questions

Client Team Supervisor - Focus on Virtualization
    Follow me on Twitter - @wfarinella
    Attachment: 1-VSA-VADPGuide.pdf
    Posted: 03-02-2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the links, I had read them before but I found additional info that answers some of my questions.

One thing that's not clear to me is how do you configure the hardware if you want to use the SAN transport method & VADP?  Do you still have to present all the VMware LUNs/datastores to the host where the VSA is installed?

Posted: 03-02-2011, 12:22 PM

All datastore luns must be presented to the proxy for SAN transport mode.  You dont see it in BOL because its a requirement of VCB/VADP.  Vmwares backup guide have information pertaining to the config

Posted: 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

All datastore luns must be presented to the proxy for SAN transport mode.  You dont see it in BOL because its a requirement of VCB/VADP.  Vmwares backup guide have information pertaining to the config

I need help finding this document.  I can't find the document which talks about setting up VADP in SAN mode without using a virtual appliance.

Posted: 03-02-2011, 12:49 PM

One thing I didn't realise is that whilst VADP doesn't need disk space to do the backup, a restore still needs sufficient disk space on your VSA to be able to stage the VM.

Posted: 03-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Update - I've got everything installed and I'm able to backup my test VMs.

Restore, however, isn't going as well.  I can't figure out how to restore the VMDK file.  I've configured the backups to run as a disk backup but I only get file level restore capability.

Any ideas?

Posted: 03-07-2011, 11:23 AM

When you select container restore what happens in the browse?  If you are able to select the VMDK and other files that comprise the machine, what happens when you attempt the recovery?

Posted: 03-07-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm not able to select the VMDK - It only shows the volume and individual files.

Makes me think the disk level backup isn't working.  It's like it's reverting to the volume level.

Posted: 03-07-2011, 11:32 AM

How are you browsing?

Right-Click the Instance Name of the VSA and choose All Tasks/Browse - you should have some options where you can choose whether you want to recover at volume or container (VMDK) level?

Posted: 03-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Indeed, there is it.

Why isn't this screen in the default browse/recover screen?

Posted: 03-07-2011, 12:29 PM

bolsen:

Indeed, there is it.

Why isn't this screen in the default browse/recover screen?

I'm new to the VSA and it did catch me out a little.  I'm not sure there's one default that will please everyone as some people will want to default to recover entire VM's, some will want to recover individual files/folders - I guess there's more of the latter than the former.

Do keep in mind as well that even if you're using VADP you'll need equivelent space free on the VSA as the size of VM you're recovering.

Posted: 03-07-2011, 1:24 PM

Paul Hutchings:

Do keep in mind as well that even if you're using VADP you'll need equivelent space free on the VSA as the size of VM you're recovering.

This is not true.  Although some data is put on the proxy the VMDKs (bulk of the size)are streamed directly to the datastore.  I tested this using  a 2 gig drive on my MA/vsa to restore a 10gig VM. 

VCB based backups and vmconverter based restores require space on the proxy.

Posted: 03-07-2011, 1:29 PM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

Paul Hutchings:

This is not true.  Although some data is put on the proxy the VMDKs (bulk of the size)are streamed directly to the datastore.  I tested this using  a 2 gig drive on my MA/vsa to restore a 10gig VM. 

VCB based backups and vmconverter based restores require space on the proxy.

Ah my mistake, apologies and thanks for correcting me - that's what I was told by technical support when I was first playing with the VSA and questioned how much space I would need in the mandatory location that you need to specify on the VSA when doing a VM level restore.

Posted: 03-07-2011, 1:33 PM

Paul Hutchings:

Ah my mistake, apologies and thanks for correcting me - that's what I was told by technical support when I was first playing with the VSA and questioned how much space I would need in the mandatory location that you need to specify on the VSA when doing a VM level restore.

I suspect that guidance was provided with VCB in mind, which in that case would hold true (or if you were to dump out the container files).

I dont recall what data is dumped in 8.0 but in 9.0 not a single drop of data went into the restore folder.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy