Move a virtual machine via full iData Agent restore--any gotchas?

Last post 03-04-2011, 10:24 AM by Vincenzo_Basolino. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Move a virtual machine via full iData Agent restore--any gotchas?
    Posted: 03-03-2011, 3:13 PM

I've got an environment that includes 2 main physical sites.  At each site is a separate VMware environment, each being controlled by its own virtual center server (I intend to consolidate both environments to one VC Server, but that's in the future).  One of my colleagues wants ot move a virtual machine from one environment to the other.  Since the virtual machine is being backed up via Galaxy (windows FS Agent and SQL Agent--we have not yet installed Virtual Agent), I thought the easiest way would be to create a new VM where we want to move the old server to, and do a full iData agent restore to the new server.

My rough plan was: do full backup of the existing machine; power it down; create a new VM with the same specs; do a full restore to the new machine, insuring name/IP was correct.  Assuming that worked and clients could access the SQL database without issue, I'd then blow away the old one.

Any gotchas anyone can think of?  I'm currently running Simpana 9.  The 2 physical sites are on different subnets.  The new virtual machine will have a new name (we name servers based on location) and differnet IP address (due to the different subnet), but should otherwise be identical, including all SQL instances.

Now, once more, I must ride with my knights, to defend what was--and the dream of what could be!

~King Arthur, "Excalibur"
  • Re: Move a virtual machine via full iData Agent restore--any gotchas?
    Posted: 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM

That might work, but if all you actually want to do is to "fork lift" the server to the new site why not just copy the VMDK's across or use vmware converter or something to create an image you can copy to hdd/dvd/whatever and transport across?

Posted: 03-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Your rough plan looks good...

Perform a full disk level backup.  Use container level restore and restore the VM to the destination Vcenter.  Power down old machine.  Make adjustments to the machine as necessary after the restore.  Power on!

Posted: 03-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Vincenzo_Basolino:

Your rough plan looks good...

Perform a full disk level backup.  Use container level restore and restore the VM to the destination Vcenter.  Power down old machine.  Make adjustments to the machine as necessary after the restore.  Power on!

Vincenzo he doesn't have the VSA to do that though?

Posted: 03-04-2011, 10:20 AM

The reason is our current network connection isn't all that . . . robust.  It takes quite some time to copy large files across our wire.  I figured, since we're already doing the backups across the wire, why do that painfully slow work twice?  This way actually seemed simpler and easier than the alternatives.

Now, once more, I must ride with my knights, to defend what was--and the dream of what could be!

~King Arthur, "Excalibur"
    Posted: 03-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Paul Hutchings:

Vincenzo he doesn't have the VSA to do that though?

Oh boy... Call your account team and get an eval license of VS Agent, then follow my plan Smile

Otherwise moving the VM using converter or any other method would be preferred over using full iDA restore as it can present its own challenges. 

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy