Rebuilding Media Agent?

Last post 03-07-2011, 3:22 PM by bolsen. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Rebuilding Media Agent?
    Posted: 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Our current MA is Windows 2003 R2 x64.

I'd like to rebuild it from scratch using 2008 x64 (probably not R2), same server name etc.

What's the best way to do this from a Commvault perspective please?

In terms of backup destinations it has a SAS attached LTO library, and a dedupe DB and some local magnetic library - we are just testing maglib right now so I'd be happy if I was able to aux copy the stuff in the maglib to tape and then destroy the array that contains the dedupe DB and maglib.

Also the array that we'd be using is a Dell MD3000i iSCSI with 15x1tb 7.2k MDL SAS drives.  I know Commvault recommend 64kb allocation units in Windows but in terms of the RAID group config would you suggest allocating the drives as 1x15 or 3x5 or 2x7 plus hot spare?

Obviously I'm wanting to try and balance capacity with performance, but as I want to do aux copy I do want/need enough performance to be able to get decent write speeds to the LTO4.

Thanks,

Paul

• Re: Rebuilding Media Agent?
    Posted: 03-07-2011, 2:40 PM

Why not use R2? 

From our experience, I would keep 2003 x64 over 2008 R1.

Posted: 03-07-2011, 2:49 PM

Almost forgot - I would talk to Dell about the optimal RIAD config.  There are too many variables to give you a flat answer.

Posted: 03-07-2011, 3:06 PM

On 2008 vs. 2008 R2 it's simply that I don't have a spare R2 license and I didn't think there should be that big of a difference for "just" an MA to really make it worthwhile?

As for the RAID question, I did find a PDF from Dell, it's a question of how to translate it with Commvault's IO pattern and I'm not really sure what that is?

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pvaul/en/pvault_md3000_whitepaper.pdf

I'm assuming the optimal config is going to be multiple disk groups, one partition per disk group, formatted NTFS 64kb and the MA set to spill and fill so in theory I have multiple IO streams going to the drives.

Posted: 03-07-2011, 3:22 PM

To be clear, 2008 R1 will work.  I'm just not certain it's worth the effort over 2003. 

If you go with it, consider using the Dynamic Cache service (this helped with a lot of our performance problems).

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy