CommVault Forums

Solving Forward - Solving Together
Welcome to CommVault Forums Sign in | Join | Help
in

Manually Pruning Data

Last post 03-08-2011, 7:30 PM by JWeir. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Manually Pruning Data
    Posted: 03-08-2011, 2:48 PM

Is there a way to manually prune jobs to circumvent the basic days & cycles? We are running low on space on our magentic library. I found a particular Aux copy job that is rather large I can remove, but am not sure how this is possible to perform.

Does anyone know how to view the particular jobs that are causing the library to fill up? I did a report of the data aging that is unprunable, but it's not giving me numbers on capacity used and can be freed up.

I'm using Simpana 8.0 SP 5

• Re: Manually Pruning Data
    Posted: 03-08-2011, 6:23 PM
    • zzz is not online. Last active: 11-04-2014, 2:41 AM zzz
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-06-2010
    • Adept
    • Points 261

Note: this is not recommended. Make sure you have already had the data copied to the tapes, or other Disks, since you mentioned it's an auxiliary backup.

Navigate to the storage policy, and right click the disk copy you want to manage. Select View -> Jobs. Untick Specify Time Range, if you want to look at all jobs on the disk.

This gives you the details of all jobs. Size of Application is the data size on the backed up data size on the server. Size of Backup is the compressed data on the disks. Size on the Media is the compressed + deduped data on the disk if you have deduplication enabled.

Make sure the jobs have already been copied to tapes before you delete them, otherwise you will not be able to recover it.

• Re: Manually Pruning Data
    Posted: 03-08-2011, 7:30 PM

Jason,

You can right-click on the primary copy of the storage policy and select View Jobs.  Uncheck the date/time range and click OK and this will show you all of the jobs on this primary copy.  You can sort by the size to see how large the biggest backups are.  I would recommend jotting down a few of these job IDs that you are considering to manually prune.  Once that is done, go to the secondary copy and right-click and select View Jobs.  Unselect the Date/Time range and click OK.  Make sure these jobs you jotted down appear and show as Available.  If they show as To Be Copied, they still have to be copied from the Primary Copy via an aux copy job and should not be manually pruned off of the primary.  If they show as Available, you can then go back to the Primary Copy and view jobs once more and then right-click on the job you wish to prune and select Delete Job.  Once you are done, run Data Aging and you should get the space back for that job.

JW

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of CommVault Systems, Inc. ("CommVault") and CommVault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, CommVault.
CommVault, CommVault and logo, the “CV” logo, CommVault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, CommVault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of CommVault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2014 CommVault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy