Disk space lost on windows servers

Last post 03-11-2011, 1:59 PM by miko. 9 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Disk space lost on windows servers
    Posted: 03-10-2011, 3:27 PM

Hi,

Fresh install server, the only thing I add to it is the IDAgent.

I verify D: drive, it was empty, and 30 gig free on a 30 gig disk.

When I start the first backup ever on this server, the D: drive lost about 3 gig of space, and ther is still nothing on this drive.

After the backup is finish, free space never back at 30 gig, it stay as about 27 gig, and there is still nothing on this disk.

Is there some one can help me with this.

Thanks.

• Re: Disk space lost on windows servers
    Posted: 03-10-2011, 4:01 PM

IS this 9.0?  Also what OS as this sounds like change journal was sized to 3 gb, which is why you cannot see the space.  CV put a patch in sp1a to prevent this from happening, so I'm assuming you didnt have sp1a in the commserve patch cache, when you did the deployment. 

Even though the patch is applied after the fact, i think there is a reg key needed to "reactivate" the change journal to be of a smaller size, if space is a concern.

Posted: 03-11-2011, 7:59 AM

This is a Commserv version 8.0 up to date with all patch available. Lost space was on clients disks, not on CommServ disks.

OS versions of clients are Windows 2008 std server 64 bits R2 and not R2, Windows 2003 std 32 bits and 64 bits.

Thanks.

Posted: 03-11-2011, 8:49 AM

strange to occur on 8.0 for just winFS ida.  To verify its change journal do the following (NOTE THIS WILL RESULT IN A FULL BACKUP IF YOU DELETE THE CHANGE JOURNAL)

On a 2k8 machine from administrator command line:

fsutil usn deletejournal /d D:     (where D: is the drive letter) 

Once run see if the space is back.  If its is then its surely change journal .

To recreate

fsutil usn createjournal m=100000 a=40000 d:

Posted: 03-11-2011, 9:31 AM

You are right on the spot.

I have some more questions about de change journal, is it possible to resolve this problem on a Commserv version 8 with patch or something like that or I need to upgrade to version 9 sp1a.

I note that the Change Journal use about 4 gig of disk space, is it possible to reduce this to 1 gig if yes how I need to proceed and if I do that, will I drop performance or something else when backup will run on this server.

Thanks a lot for your great answer.

Posted: 03-11-2011, 10:12 AM

What other agents are running on this machine besides windows FS agent, as that CJ size shouldnt be necessary unless you have disks that are hundreds of gigs or you are using replication (CDR)

You can manually resize the CJ using the command I provided prior and modify the "M" value, as its the max size in bytes

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/fsutil_usn.mspx

Posted: 03-11-2011, 10:14 AM

Also v9 + sp1a shouldnt be necessary so my subsequent response will be based off your answer of what else is on this machine besides windows file system agent. 

Posted: 03-11-2011, 10:31 AM

There is nothing more than the W2k8 x64 R2 OS for the moment on this server.

But others servers did the same things and have more stuff on them.

Is it possible to change a standard settings on CommVault setup to reduce this value automaticaly or I will have to change this value on my 150+ serveurs. :-(

thanks.

Posted: 03-11-2011, 10:43 AM

What is on the other servers, since as I mentioned the only time I saw this behavior was on 9.0 and this has since been fixed by CV.

I'm sure the folks at CV can confirm this either way.

Posted: 03-11-2011, 1:59 PM

Thanks a lot Vincenzo, now I understand better why I lost space on my servers and if I want, later I will be able to resolve this if I need to.

Your help was very appreciate, I will now go with these infos, case close Cool.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy