VSA restores VMDKs as thick?

Last post 03-13-2011, 4:23 PM by JWeir. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VSA restores VMDKs as thick?
    Posted: 03-13-2011, 1:23 PM

I just had cause to do a restore of a VMDK.  I noticed that the restored VMDK is thick provisioned whilst the VMDK that I backed up is thin provisioned.

How can I make Commvault restore a VMDK in the same format that it was backed up please?

We're using 8.0 SP5 and the backups are VADP.

Thanks,

Paul

• Re: VSA restores VMDKs as thick?
    Posted: 03-13-2011, 3:15 PM

Hello Paul,

I believe the workaround is to restore then do Storage vMotion to Thin Provisioned.

JW

Posted: 03-13-2011, 4:05 PM

Thanks JW, after I did the restore I did a migrate to/from another volume to convert to thin.

Do you happen to know if this is a Commvault limitation or a vmware one?

If it's the former are there any plans to change it please as whilst in a DR scenario you have bigger things to worry about than disk space, it's not nice having to allocate 40gb for every single VM even if the actual data is only 7-8gb - it defeats the point of thin provisioning.

(storage vMotion is only in => vmware Enterprise so we don't have that)

Thanks,

Paul

Posted: 03-13-2011, 4:23 PM

Paul,

I did come across some VMWare links that discuss similar issues to what you are experiencing:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1291838

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/221547

JW

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy