Virtual Server agent taking FOREVER

Last post 08-19-2010, 2:48 AM by Stephen Connington. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Virtual Server agent taking FOREVER
    Posted: 06-23-2010, 3:52 PM

Previously, my VS iData Agent was taking what one might call a "reasonable" amount of time to back up (it would complete in my typical backup window of overnight).  As of this past monday, it's now slower than writing the data out by hand . . . last night's backup (started 7 PM) is still running, and at 69%, as of 4 PM.  Throughput is something like 0.017 GB/hr.

any thoughts on what could be making this happen?  I changed the "capture metadata" option on Tuesday, but I first noticed the problem the day before that (I'd killed the running backup in order to change that setting and change the schedule).  Prior to that, the backups seem to have been running normally; I'm not aware of any changes over the weekend that might affect this.

Now, once more, I must ride with my knights, to defend what was--and the dream of what could be!

~King Arthur, "Excalibur"
  • Re: Virtual Server agent taking FOREVER
    Posted: 06-23-2010, 4:23 PM

Make sure to have the patches 17418, 17753 and open a case to get new critical update 18179 from the case Customer Engineer.  There have been some changes and also there are some patches available from VMware that will possibly help to resolve the issue.

Posted: 06-23-2010, 4:54 PM

Boots,

Can you check the vsbkp.log file to see if its using NBD mode?  Also are you using VADP or VCB?  As TrekRod mentioned, those patches will be helpful nonetheless.

Posted: 08-18-2010, 9:58 AM

I seem to be having the same issue as Boots.  I have those patches installed except for 18179.  I have tried to install it several times but it still shows as being needed in the properties box.  Any help would be appreciated.

Bernie

Posted: 08-18-2010, 12:27 PM

I too have been seeing some real slow performance on some our VSA backups.  By chance are the VMs you are backing up have SQL running on them?  I've found the servers that have had slow performance are all SQL servers.

Posted: 08-18-2010, 1:12 PM

Only 1 of the VM's that I am backing up has SQL installed on it. 

Posted: 08-18-2010, 2:52 PM

I have a question in respect to your Virtual Server backups.

Is it the full backups or the incremental backups that are typically taking forever ?

Posted: 08-18-2010, 3:21 PM

Both

Posted: 08-18-2010, 3:23 PM

Lemme dust of my memory cells . . . I'd since uninstalled the agent months ago.  (since I'm backing them up individually and there's no real rush, aside from my just wanting it to work!)

I don't specifically recall whether I got a complete full backup so that incrs could run.  But I *do* recall that fulls were taking way more than 24 hours to get to apoint where I'd kill them--the never finished.

So, the answer ot your question is "Definitley fulls, possibly incrs but I can't recall"

Now, once more, I must ride with my knights, to defend what was--and the dream of what could be!

~King Arthur, "Excalibur"
    Posted: 08-18-2010, 3:26 PM

For me it's the incrementals that are signicantly slower.  The FULL backups are actually quite speedy.  The exception being those VMs with SQL running on them.  They take a while  longer to do a full backup versus a similar sized server that isn't running SQL. 

Posted: 08-18-2010, 4:46 PM

@Pat T. - We are seeing the incremental performance issue at other sites as well. Please download update 18431 as you will need it to install update 18662.(Note: 18662 is not available on Maintenance Advantage until 8/30).

Update 18662 has logic to handle large numbers of changes scattered on the disk and after applied it has improved incremental performance speeds. I will PM you the link to an FTP location where you can download this update(32bit and 64bit) previous to being released on MA.

@Bernie and Boots - My experiences have been aligned with Pat T's as full backups tend to backup rather quickly, however incrementals take much longer. You may want to try performing standard windows backups and see if those results are faster/slower then VSA.

If anyone else would like 18662 previous to MA release feel free to PM me and I will link you to the FTP download.

Posted: 08-18-2010, 5:10 PM

Just sent you a PM. I have to agree with Pat T's response for our environment as well. Especially found incrementals to be painfully slow with a virtualized Citrix server, Symantec Endpoint parent server, and a SQL server with high change activity.

Posted: 08-19-2010, 2:48 AM

Leif:

Just sent you a PM. I have to agree with Pat T's response for our environment as well. Especially found incrementals to be painfully slow with a virtualized Citrix server, Symantec Endpoint parent server, and a SQL server with high change activity.

Sent PM

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy