Change time to mount a tape

Last post 09-30-2010, 9:31 AM by db2004. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Change time to mount a tape
    Posted: 09-28-2010, 9:38 PM

I'm getting the error "No media in drive" for hours at a time and then the error goes away

for some weeks. On checking the Commvault logs I get this:

3224 f04 09/28 17:11:01 ######   CDB >> 0x00|0x00|0x00|0x00|0x00|0x00|

3224 f04 09/28 17:11:01 ######   Sense Data >> 0x70|0x00|0x02|0x00|0x00|0x00|0x00|0x14|0x00|0x00|0x00|0x00|0x04|0x01|0x00|0x00|0x00|0x00|

Sense Key [0x02], ASC [0x04],ASCQ [0x01]

3224 f04 09/28 17:11:01 ######   The SCSI device is in the process of becoming ready

which appears to be happening when mounting a tape.

The tape drives HP are connected to the media server using FC - SCSI over FC. All the media servers and tape library are rebooted when I get the problem. The problem seems to persist for up to 8 hours then goes away.

I think the root of the problem is that Commvault waits 2 minutes for the tape to be mounted. If the mount does not complete within 2 minutes it assumes there is a problem with the tape drive and I get the "No media in drive" error message.

Can I change the time that Commvault waits for a tape to be loaded?

• Re: Change time to mount a tape
    Posted: 09-29-2010, 4:32 PM

Two minutes should be plenty of time for a tape to mount. I would check the drivers for the tape drive. (drive type not mentioned above) but LTO series has two types of drivers exclusive and non-exclusive. this could also be caused by an outdated driver. also check your library settings  in the browser it could be set to scsi2 or scsi3 command and may need to be changed and that determination is based on your environment.  I would try there first and also trace you cables and make sure there is a good connection at each end.

Posted: 09-29-2010, 6:58 PM

Yeah, so your saying your library takes more than 2 mins to load a tape?!

Posted: 09-29-2010, 7:08 PM

We have an Overland NEO 8000 tape library. Yes the tape library typically takes 3-4 minutes to mount a tape. I know this as tapes can be mounted using a web interface which talks directly to the tape library. With LTO-4 it reads some sort of hardware label on the tape I think which may be where the time to load is being used up.

Posted: 09-30-2010, 9:31 AM

I do not discounet what you are seeing but that time to mount seems a bit exsetive.

If you check out the NEO 8000 data sheet the average mount time and dismount times are

Mount time < 20 seconds

Dismount time < 20 seconds

Inventory time (80 cartridges) < 25 seconds

Inventory time (500 cartridges) <5 minutes

I would reach out to Overland and let them know what errors you are seeing and see why the mount times are upwards of 4 minutes.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy