VM's completed with errors Unable to queisce guest file system during snapshot creation

Last post 01-11-2016, 10:27 PM by LCC_Kieran. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • VM's completed with errors Unable to queisce guest file system during snapshot creation
    Posted: 10-31-2015, 10:54 PM

Hi guys, I am seeing this over the last week in a lot of different customer environments where usually it is either an Exchange Server or a domain controller completing with errors using the VSA.  It isn't all Exchange Servers or all domain controllers but typically 1-2 servers per environment.  All of these servers have been backing up without issue for quite some time and no changes were implemented that started these failures.  It is happening across different vmware versions and isn't always even generating an error in vmware when it is completing with an error in Commvault.  Has anyone seen anything like this recently?  It's been about the last 7 or so days since it started occurring although it increased in 5-7 more environments over the last two days.

The server is being listed as a partial success in Commvault with the error Unable to queisce Guest File system during snapshot creation.  I have had 1 server that I am aware of generate this error and then succeed the next day but all of the rest of them have continued to generate this error daily.  Reboots of the servers haven't fixed it and their isn't any consistency in the error messages generated by the vss writers across servers.  Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks

• Re: VM's completed with errors Unable to queisce guest file system during snapshot creation
    Posted: 11-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Hi

Has this happened since upgrading to Service Pack 12 by any chance?

Had exactly the same issue, turns out the VMDK clients were always getting an error, but a change in Service Pack 12 meant that unable to quiesce the guest file system during the initial snapshot would result in an error being generated, despite the second crash consistent snapshot working okay

Looking at the Event Viewer in Windows helped us further and most of the clients had VSS errors, that I have passed on to my Windows team

I was told the danger is if you are using the 'Quiesce Guest File System' on database servers such as SQL, Exchange, in our case we use the appropriate Commvault agent

We were given the Additional Settings parameter 'ignoreQuiesceGuestErrors' set to 1 and these errors were no longer reported, but we were happy with the risks involved as all databases use agents or are dumped to disk

Hope this helps

Regards

Mark

• Re: VM's completed with errors Unable to queisce guest file system during snapshot creation
    Posted: 11-02-2015, 11:03 AM

Awesome answer and yes it probably did start ocurring once Service Pack 12 was applied.  That helps a lot and makes sense with the servers that are seeing the errors.  I can address accordingly.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted: 11-09-2015, 2:57 PM

Is ignoreQuiesceGuestErrors documented anywhere?  It isn't found when I try to add it and then click the Lookup button.

Posted: 11-09-2015, 3:07 PM
    • Ali is not online. Last active: 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM Ali
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-05-2010

Hi Boberic,

Please try setting it like so for the time being:

Posted: 11-13-2015, 4:44 AM

Since applying SP12 I too have started encountering the Unable to queisce guest file system during snapshot creation in a VmWare 5.1 environment.

Are CommVault releasing a 'fix' for this issue?

Posted: 11-13-2015, 7:34 AM

can you get application eventviewer messages  at that time of the error in the log and see any vss related errors.

Posted: 11-24-2015, 11:59 AM

Good morning Ali,

I am unable to find the setting.  Would you be able to direct me more specifically?

Thank you,

Texaskat...

Posted: 01-11-2016, 10:27 PM

did you find where to change this setting?

having the same issue, have confirmed crash consitent VM backups are ok, and want to ignore the quiesce backup errors.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2020 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy