Tape error: Failed to access drive that was reserved.

Last post 12-08-2015, 9:44 AM by AtlasDan. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tape error: Failed to access drive that was reserved.
    Posted: 12-07-2015, 8:34 AM

Hi. I have two Quantum Superloader3 tape libraries with LTO5 drives at two separate sites, each running on a Windows Server 2008R2 server. Each has a cleaning job scheduled for Friday 4pm. The job has been failing recently with the following error:

Error Code: [62:225]
    Description: Failed to access drive that was reserved.
    Source: drcomsrv, Process: MediaManager

This weekend, all the tapes were marked as bad and I got no backups at either site, probably because of the failure to clean - both drives show that they need cleaned.

Why is this cleaning job failing? I can't find any information on this error.

• Re: Tape error: Failed to access drive that was reserved.
    Posted: 12-07-2015, 9:55 AM

Don't auto clean your drives.  Set CommVault to auto-detect when the tapes need cleaning--either by error count or by hours of use.  

For Simpana v10, here's how you get to that setting: 

Click Home, then Control Panel, then under Storage click on Hardware Maintenance.

From there, click on the Drive Cleaning tab.  Highlight your drive type (not your tape type) and click Edit.

In my experience, Simpana's default values were kinda high when I was on v9.  To get to this setting, go to Home then Control Panel, then Storage/Hardware Maintenance.  

I've attached a screen shot of my settings.  Note that the setting you need may vary dramatically, based on things like quality of tape media, temperature, and humidity.  

Aside from that, if you set the library to auto clean, you may need to reserve a slot for that to work and that tape may then be hidden from Simpana, so if you want to use Simpana to detect cleaning needed and/or clean based on hours, I think you'll need a second cleaning tape in the library, but located in a non-cleaning slot.

Library auto cleaning has never worked well for me, it always winds up cleaning way too late and I presume that's why you're setting it to clean at a scheduled time.  When it is past time to clean the drive, I've found that both aux copies and restores gradually slow to a crawl but don't start failing until it gets really really bad.  Your mileage may vary.

Attachment: Capture.JPG
  • Re: Tape error: Failed to access drive that was reserved.
    Posted: 12-08-2015, 9:44 AM

I had auto cleaning set up when I first inherited this system, and it never worked right for me, either.

I found these settings and this looks like the way to go. The Time Used column was set to 1000 hours, which I assume is the default. I saw you set yours to 200 hours, but I set mine to 35. I’d rather clean it too often than get errors at all.

I also deleted/recreated my scheduled cleanings, scheduling it for Friday 4pm when I know the drives will never be in use. I ran it manually from the new schedule and it worked, so I guess this is fixed.

Between the maintenace settings and the weekly schedules they’ll get cleaned least once per week, or more often if it hits the 35 hour threshold sooner. And I have redundant mechanisms to ensure the drives stay clean.

Great info! Thanks for your help!

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy