what are the files under D:\Commvault\ContentStore\IndexCache\CvIdxLogs\2 ?

Last post 07-14-2017, 3:58 PM by Prathapsb. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • what are the files under D:\Commvault\ContentStore\IndexCache\CvIdxLogs\2 ?
    Posted: 07-14-2017, 4:33 AM

Hi,

Our commvault server index cache drive is out of space inspite of setting very aggresive cleanup retention.

The DIR D:\Commvault\ContentStore\IndexCache\CvIdxLogs\2 is taking up a lot of space (180GB) and I would like to know what are the files in this DIR and is it ok to clean them  up?

I see several DIRs under this path which are ~10days old and I have setup index cache retention to 1 day only.

We are using Commvault V11 SP7 and doing windows and linux file system backups.

Appreciate any help in this matter, thank you in advace.

• Re: what are the files under D:\Commvault\ContentStore\IndexCache\CvIdxLogs\2 ?
    Posted: 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM

Hello 

Could you please deploy this report "https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/downloadcenter/packageDetails.do?packageId=4970&status=0&type=details" and check how index backups are performing on your setup?

Background on the issue. Those files are index transaction logs that are needed in case if index gets corrupted. Every index (under CvIdxDB folder) gets backed up every week (or sooner in certain cases). If for any reason index is not backed up, then transaction logs files gets accumulated. To check whether index are getting backed up in a timely fashion or not, above report should help you. Watch out for last index backup time and tell us if any index is not backed up in the last one week. Also, let us know if any index backup is reported as critical.

Also can you share few additional details?

1. What is the size of index cache? What is the size of current index cache directory? You could get this from Catalog tab on media agent. Look for a pie chart at the bottom.

2. Are you following index planning guidelines as per this recommendation "http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/index_cache/prerequisites.htm"?

Thanks,

Pavan

• Re: what are the files under D:\Commvault\ContentStore\IndexCache\CvIdxLogs\2 ?
    Posted: 07-14-2017, 3:58 PM

Thanks much for your quick reply.

The index cache drive size if 450GB. Currently only two folders are taking all the space ( IndexCache/CvIdxDB - 246Gb ,IndexCache/CvIdxLogs - 190GB )

For some reason, the "download" link of index backup report you have given isnt working for me.

I checked the index backup jobs and they have been running fine, no jobs with errors or failures.

I have modified the two settings given in the link below to 5 days and 100000 and ran the index backup jobs, however it didnt help ( gained only <10Gb space) and I see the Index_Restore job was kicking in as well.

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/index/t_v2_maintenance.htm

I have 10 File system backup jobs waiting/suspended due to no index cache space. Killing all the jobs a running the index backup would help ?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I am also working on expanding the index cache drive but it would take time.

The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2019 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy