Discrepancy Between Storage Resource Capacity and Storage Policy Usage

Last post 01-12-2018, 5:50 AM by Jos1982_NL. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Discrepancy Between Storage Resource Capacity and Storage Policy Usage
    Posted: 01-10-2018, 3:28 PM
    We recently started to have capacity issues with our primary disk. I lowered retention on some Storage Policies but I didn't get the savings I expected. Our primary drive is 18.19TB. It currently has 17.44TB on disk (712GB free).  When I look at the Data in Storage Policy Copy for SPs that use that disk, they only add up to 10.65TB. Can someone help me understand the 7.54TB difference and maybe how to get that storage back?

Thanks,
    Matt
  • Re: Discrepancy Between Storage Resource Capacity and Storage Policy Usage
    Posted: 01-10-2018, 4:39 PM

Have you tried running a Data Retention Forecast report to see why data may not be aging?

http://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=features/reports/types/data_aging_forecast.htm

Posted: 01-11-2018, 9:33 AM

Yes, I have very little in that report that has not aged out. I am going to manually clean up some jobs but I don't really see 7TB worth.

Posted: 01-12-2018, 5:50 AM

I am guessing you see the 7TB difference in the pie chart regarding data usage?

If so, I had this discussion as well, there is a different calculation used for this pie chart which does not reflect the actual disk usage, Don't ask me why but this figure should be ignored, the properties of the library will show you the actual usage figures.

Jos Meijer
    Senior Technical Consultant
The content of the forums, threads and posts reflects the thoughts and opinions of each author, and does not represent the thoughts, opinions, plans or strategies of Commvault Systems, Inc. ("Commvault") and Commvault undertakes no obligation to update, correct or modify any statements made in this forum. Any and all third party links, statements, comments, or feedback posted to, or otherwise provided by this forum, thread or post are not affiliated with, nor endorsed by, Commvault.
Commvault, Commvault and logo, the “CV” logo, Commvault Systems, Solving Forward, SIM, Singular Information Management, Simpana, Commvault Galaxy, Unified Data Management, QiNetix, Quick Recovery, QR, CommNet, GridStor, Vault Tracker, InnerVault, QuickSnap, QSnap, Recovery Director, CommServe, CommCell, SnapProtect, ROMS, and CommValue, are trademarks or registered trademarks of Commvault Systems, Inc. All other third party brands, products, service names, trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of and used to identify the products or services of their respective owners. All specifications are subject to change without notice.
Close
Copyright © 2018 Commvault | All Rights Reserved. | Legal | Privacy Policy